A pub in progress (part 1)

Some years ago my parents gave me a box room as my next miniature project - The Rachel's Return. I'd wanted a pub for a while and have loved it from day one, especially as my dad made it so I know it's unique.

However, my decorating skills are somewhat suspect and I've never quite got round to turning it from a plain box into the beautiful room I know it can be.

That's not to say I've been neglecting it. For years I've been collecting furniture, people, glasses, bottles and everything else a pub needs. If you look closely at the photo below, you can get a peek at the wonders within.

The Rachel's Return before decoration

You'll also notice the 'Proprietor' is 'R.L Howsley' which is my maiden name. As we're coming up to our sixth wedding anniversary it shows just how long this project has been in the making.

Now my dad has taken charge and taken the pub away to decorate. This week he's been emailing me photos as it progresses and I'm getting more excited with each one. What can I say? Miniatures make me happy.

The first stage of decoration

I think the tools in my dad's workroom give his skills away. If I was doing the decorating it would be at our dining room table, possibly with it covered in newspaper if I remembered.

The inside of the front door

I'm still making all the decorating decisions, of course, but this way it will look amazing when it's finished. My way would be...well, less amazing.

I've bought most of the items needed from eBay, although due to a slight error with the measuring I had to put in second orders for more wallpaper, skirting and coving.

The floor with newly stained skirting board

I did get the floor right though and am very pleased with it - just £6.49 from BeautifullyHandmade. You can buy much cheaper flooring which is generally a picture of tiles or floorboards printed onto thin paper. I don't really understand why anyone would buy such an inferior product but perhaps it would be suitable for a child's dollshouse.

Half way through the undercoat

This week I finally found what I hope is the right colour paint for the external woodwork. Although I've had it in my head for a while, tracking down a dark red in a pot that wouldn't cover a full size room was tricky - thank goodness for HobbyCraft.

Last week we were watching the BBC's Call the Midwife, set in the 1950s, and as The Masters Arms appeared on screen, I immediately thought 'That's my pub'. This is the colour I have in mind and while my pub might be a little smaller, I'm sure it will be just as lovely.

The Masters Arms as it appeared in Call the Midwife

Decorating is continuing at apace so do check back soon for the next update.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choo choo - model train time!

My miniatures make the national press!

A successful miniature shopping spree