RK’s diner - my 50s miniature masterpiece

I love the 50s – from the furniture to the fashion – so I think my diner might be my favourite room box (at least for the moment).

My 50s style 1:12 scale diner - built from scratch by my dad.


The inside of the diner - still lots of space to fill.

I’d been looking around for a kit for a long time but couldn’t find anything I liked, so my dad came to the rescue and designed RK’s diner from scratch, including the amazing electrics. I absolutely love turning the main lights off, switching on each individual element and watching it come to life. 

The juke box is actually a toy I found on eBay but it was the right scale and I think it fits perfectly. The ‘clock face’ is a watch that my dad added LED lighting to, while the sign in the window is actually meant for model railways.

The buttons are labelled so each element of the lighting can be controlled individually. 





The doors are another favourite element, something he spent a long time over but I think it was worth it to get the metal effect. Look at those lovely handles!

I absolutely love tiny food so this project was perfect for a variety of dishes. The diner sells all day breakfasts, burgers, ice cream sundaes, sandwiches, cakes, coffee (it had to – I fell in love with the espresso machine) and anything else I can get away with.

The espresso machine is one of my favourite miniatures, but I also adore the eggs in the background.


Obviously I needed menus and condiments for the tables but it turns out the ketchup bottles sold in the UK really aren’t very nice (note to UK craftspeople – there’s a gap in the market). Eventually I tracked down the perfect ketchup and mustard bottles in America, as is so often the case, but they weren’t cheap. Finding the right pieces to suit the setting is half the fun so I suppose I shouldn’t complain.


It took a long time to find that ketchup, but it was totally worth it.


The one thing I really struggled with and couldn’t find anywhere were suitable lampshades. A lot of dolls house lighting tends to be very traditional and that wouldn’t have been right for the diner. Cue the whole family heading out to buy bottles of Corsodyl mouthwash so we could use the lids as lampshades.


Recognise those 'lampshades'?


Eventually I want to cover the walls with memorabilia – pictures, records and anything else that will add interest; I want people to find something new every time they look at it. I already have a guitar and my dad sawed a toy car in half, which I seem to remember wasn’t easy.

I also need to buy lots of items to fill the shelves but there’s no rush – I’m not sure any project is ever completely finished. For now, enjoy a few more photos.


Still lots of room on the shelves for more tiny things. 


Taking a peek from outside.



I love the clock. As it's a watch, it actually works.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choo choo - model train time!

My miniatures make the national press!

A miniature Christmas